Online Coding for Kids | Coding Games
The best way to teach kids how to code is through an online coding for kids program that is self directed. When you combine these teaching tools with games, kids don’t even realize how much they are learning. The educational benefits expound to boost their confidence, creativity, problem solving and logical thinking skills.
There will continued to be a demand worldwide for students who are educated in IT (Information Technology). This need is expected to only increase in coming years. That doesn’t mean that kids need to be thinking about a career in tech to truly benefit from an online coding class. You may have a child who is simply interested how computers work. You may have a family member that spends a lot of time playing video games and you want ensure some of that screen time is educational.
Coding for Kids – Online Learning
Get your child started today with online coding for kids.
Whether or not a child is gifted in science or STEM subjects in school, coding courses are designed for children of any skill level to discover whether learning to code is a path they want to explore.
Coding is also a great introduction for children to other educational focuses regarding computational thinking, which explores many aspects of problem solving and how kids can use these skills to understand how everything works in the world, not just computers and math.
How Kids can Learn Coding Easily while Having Fun
Whether teaching is live or a course where kids learn at their own pace, everything is designed to ensure any age group can grasp basic coding concepts. Any knowledge gained can only help kids succeed in school regardless of their chosen profession when they graduate. There are also a variety of AP computer science books and courses online that guide a child through the basics of coding without a live teacher. Both experiences instruct kids how to code as they move through games they may already be playing normally.
Whether you are a teacher or a parent, there are coding activities that you can get your students or kids excited about.
Educators, learn how you to teach computer science and the foundations of computational thinking: codeSpark Ignite is an online professional development course designed to help preK-5 educators teach young students the basics of Computer Science and the foundations of computational thinking.
Why parents are encouraging their kids to learn coding.
- Coding through fun games is a great opportunity to see if your younger child is interested in STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
- Classes and courses provide an educational process that can be enjoyed while kids are playing games online.
- Parents may want their kids to learn coding skills to supplement what they may not being getting in school.
- Coding lessons can be an excellent program addition for home schoolers or kids taking virtual classes.
Parents may have kids who enjoy playing a lot of video games. The challenge for any parent is limiting screen time when a child is only asking for more hours of play per day. Giving your son or daughter an extra hour of online play devoted to a coding game is the perfect compromise for many.
- Children doing very well in school may not be challenged enough with their current studies.
- Kids may have a keen interest in STEM already and are open to expanding their learning.
Something for Every Age: Self paced coding courses are provided for kids as early as 5 years old. Online coding classes can be taken as early as kindergarten.
Types of Coding Languages for Beginners
Block-based coding is an excellent ways for kids to get started. It consists of dragging and dropping colorful components. This engaging method is fun for kids and helps them learn the basics without writing text. After they are comfortable with blocks, instructors can introduce text-based coding. This includes the basics of writing lines of code.
Together, block-based programming and text-based coding is more easily grasped as kids begin to understand how everything ties together to create something new. With proper set-by step instruction, it’s possible for kids to learn more complex coding languages, such as;
- Python – the programming language that reads like normal speech.
- Ruby – the most readable syntax for beginner programmers.
- Scratch – when introduced to kids who have a proper foundation of the basics, Scratch is fairly easy for children to learn. It’s important because it’s they will be more than likely be using this type of coding in some capacity for the rest of their lives.
- Java – while more difficult, teaching Java to beginners will make learning any language easier for kids.
- C++ – this language make turn off some beginners to the world of coding because it’s very similar to math. While it can expand a new coders world, instruction on this type of coding might turn of some beginners off. However, once the basic fundamentals of programming are understood, C++ is very beneficial to those who decide to progress in their programming knowledge.
There are many different coding languages. Equipping a young children and teens with multiple options as they expand their expertise and knowledge can only serve to help them find what they enjoy best. Other languages include Blockly, Alice, Lua, Go,Twine, Swift Playgrounds and Ruby.
The Benefits of Online Coding for Kids
Is Coding Right for Your Kids?
No one can argue that any type of computer skill will offer a valuable educational benefit as kids advance through their grades. If your child loves spending time online, whether gaming or on social media, coding for kids education is an easy way to transition from online play time towards online learning time. The latter of which can be equality as fun as kids learn.
If your child is a book warm and doesn’t like computers much, it will be more of a challenge to engage them in the subjects associated with technology. Whether it’s part of a school curriculum or home schooling, live coding classes or monthly subscription based courses offer a way for educators and parents to make a child’s introduction to coding fun.
Create your account and get a Free Trial of codeSpark Academy – the online game kids can learn to code while playing. It’s screen time you can feel good about.