Internet Filtering for Home and Schools
At Safe Search for Kids, we welcome the use of our internet filtering tools to ensure that safe browsing on Google is always set to the most secure level of search filtering. This needs to be the case whether Google Safe Search is being used at home or on every computer in school.
To ensure the ultimate in internet safety for kids, we also encourage the use of internet filtering software to give parental control over how kids access the internet. This is not to be confused with Internet Security Software that protects your computer against viruses.
Before we speak to the various options online for filtering and security, here is what Safe Search Kids offers and it’s limitations.
If easy access to internet filtering tools without software, just go to the top right corner of our website. You’ll see 4 tabs. The first one is for searching Google. It provides the same results as Google, but with strict internet filtering. In essence, as long as you are searching from our website and the results page that follows your initial search, all bad content is filtered. Subsequently, the other tabs do the same for images, wiki for kids and videos.
Internet Filtering Software? Clearing Up the Confusion
There are four areas of online security that people need to be aware of. These are not presented as options, rather – they each offer a different level of security and serve different purposes.
1. Anti-Virus Software: This is essential basic software that filters your email to protect your computer from becoming infected with a virus. No computer should be without this standard software. Many operating systems come with enough security to screen your email, such as on a Mac computer or Windows 10. Get added protection from programs like McAfee.
2. Anti-Malware: Includes the removal and full protection from malware infecting your computer. It blocks a variety of viruses and subversive malware from infecting your computer due to a cyber attack or in the event you accidentally visit an infected website. Malware Protection is an important addition to any anti-virus program you may choose to install and includes protection against Ransomware.
3. Parental Control Software: If you are concerned about protecting your kids from harmful online content, you need proper internet filtering that blocks access to the internet according to the age of each child in your home. Read about the specific benefits of Parental Control Software.
4. Safe Search for Kids: The filtering tool on our website is powered by Google to ensure safe search results for all keywords entered. It is a FREE solution when searching Google. While it will block search results for inappropriate search terms entered, it does not block access to other areas of the internet when kids leave our site. This is where internet filtering software should be explored.
5. VPN: Short for Virtual Private Network, VPNs are not common to most families. However, the security features of using a VPN are well worth exploring. It protected against swatting for gamers as well as hackers who may want to invade your privacy, whether at home or when accessing the Internet in public.
Got a Gamer in the House? They may complain about a slower gaming experience due to anti-virus software that bogs down their computer. A possible solution may be Game Security Software that includes increased performance for gamer with added security online.
The most popular option our users are most interested in are parental controls and it’s relation to internet filtering.
Parental Control Software Includes:
- Content Controls – Flexible content control allows you to select the types of websites that are appropriate according to age.
- Program Controls – Control Instant Messengers, P2P File Sharing, control of what apps can be downloaded.
- Time Controls – Control the amount of time spent online, and the times when the internet is available for each child.
- Usage Logging – Create and review logs of websites visited, programs used on the Internet.
- Usage Alerts – Be notified instantly via email or text message when someone visits inappropriate websites.
- All of these monitoring resources can be accessed via a parental control app or on your desktop computer.
As mentioned, internet filtering is not the same as protecting your computer against viruses. To fully protect against viruses and online threats (such as malware on websites) you may also want to consider anti-malware as noted above for virus scanning and malware protection.
Choosing stand-alone filtering software greatly improves your kids internet safety and allows parents the ability to set the safety controls for each child according to their age and responsibility. Deleting search history won’t be enough for users to hide their activity.
Additional Solutions: Teaching Good Online Habits:
Software that features both accountability and internet filtering. What is the difference?
Accountability: When software is installed on any or all computers in your home, you will receive a report emailed to you weekly to show high risk website that were visited. This feature does not block content. It is meant for older kids and adults who know that the report will be viewed, and therefore builds good computer habits. The accountability report can be further generated to easily show sites according to various ratings, such as Teen, Mature Teen and Mature.
Web Filtering: This feature of the software filters the internet and blocks potentially harmful content. If offers complete parental controls to set internet filtering according to user age, as well as put timelines on how long a user can surfing the internet, as well as restrict hours of use. This software can also be applied to applications and phones.
So what about our website – Safe Search Kids? How do we fit into the mix of providing internet safety for kids? For one, our site only restricts potentially harmful websites on Google while using our internet filtering tools. Our website simply allows for added security for those who are not installing software filtering.
Safe Search Kids is ideal for schools who want to implement safe search filtering instantly without having to painstakingly turn on safe search within the settings of each computer. This is done by bookmarking our home page.
Parental control software programs enable you to block internet access in the following ways that Google Safe Search on our website cannot.
- Software programs filter all access the internet regardless of device or search engine being used.
- It gives parents control of social media use and app downloads according to custom account settings.
- Provides reports for searches, instant messages, keywords entered and controls screen time.
Should I Use Additional Safe Search Filtering Software?
It is important to note that Google safe search is not perfect. We strive to provide a healthy balance between screening out illicit material and providing quality search results. For this reason, the ultimate in security can only be achieved with the use of parental control software. This is difficult and costly in a school setting where you have hundreds of computers, which is why Safe Search Kids is a good step towards a safer online environment on a broader level.
When you have control over 1 or 2 computers in your home, it becomes a viable option to consider filtering software options to protect kids, as well as your computer from viruses. The cost is minimal and gives the user much more control over what keywords are filtered out.
The important thing is to do your research and compare all the pros and cons, including costs, before proceeding. Of course, no search filter can replace parental supervision when it comes to children on the internet – even when safe search is turned on – but every little bit helps.
More About Our Website: Safe Search Kids Article Categories
In addition to parents and teachers, older kids such as teens would find many articles within these categories of interest. The categories names “Improve Your World” and “Stuff for Your Brain” contain many areas of interest for younger kids. Parents and educators may want to direct their kids to read these articles as part of their education.
You can access our recent posts in the center column. To read an article, clicking the “read more” button. You’ll find sharing tools at the bottom of each post. As you scroll down, we feature a longer list or our more poplar articles, as well as posts related to internet security and online safety to the left of the page near the bottom. You’ll also see that there are articles written just for kids. To search for a specific article topic, our website search tool can be found near the bottom right of our website.
At the very bottom, you will find direct links to our individual search pages related to safe image search, wiki for kids and safe videos. Why would you use these? Basically, if a teacher wanted to post a ‘safe image search link’ on their teacher page, clicking this link below will bring them to the url that will always feature safe image search by default. The same goes for wiki for kids and safe videos.
We encourage you to browse our articles for helpful topics, and of course, bookmark Safe Search for Kids for strict filtering on Google – on every computer in your home or at school.