Attention Schools: The same parental controls that parents use at home are now available in the classroom. Before we explore internet filtering options we’d like to announce that Safe Search Kids has partnered with Qustodio with a mission to develop a seamless way for parents, schools, and teachers to work together to keep kids safe online.
We continue to encourage the use of our free internet filtering tools to ensure that safe browsing on Google is always set to the most secure level of search filtering. This should be the case whether Google Safe Search is being used at home or on every computer in school. It’s important when searching the entire web, including images and videos.
For schools interested in complete internet filtering and monitoring on all of their devices regardless of where students browse online, we invite you to explore what we believe is the best software available to protect and monitor students in class.
Internet Filtering and Monitoring for Schools
- No expensive hardware or long-term contracts are attached to Qustodio Schools software.
- It works on all mobile phones and tablets, as well as on lap tops, PC’s and Mac’s. (Other parental control for schools featured on our website only work on mobiles devices via an app).
- During the 14-day free trial, any educational organization will have access to a fully-featured internet safety platform for all of their devices.
Qustodio for Schools fits educational institutions of any size globally and here is what is special about it:
- offers management at scale and bulk installation on all school devices
- available in English and Spanish
- offers detailed, exportable insights and reports
- one on one customer support
- free trial period
- affordable pricing
Qustodio for Schools Includes:
Schools can now try a fully functional version of this unique software to protect every device for every student in the classroom.
For parents at home who wish to ensure the ultimate in internet safety for kids at home, we encourage the use of internet filtering apps to give parental control over how kids access the internet. This is not to be confused with Internet Security Software that protects your computer against viruses as explains below.
How to Use Safe Search Kids
Before we speak about additional options online for filtering and security, here is what Safe Search Kids offers. It’s simple to use access to internet filtering tools without an app or software installation, just go to the top right corner of our website. It’s also free.
Bookmark this page for easy access or save as a home screen on mobile phones. You may also scroll down to the bottom of this page to bookmark our individual search tools for Safe Images, Safe Videos and Wiki for Kids
You can also switch between our search resources using the 4 tabs you see on the top right of our website. The first one is for searching Google. It provides the same results as Google, but with strict internet filtering. In essence, as long as you are searching from our website and the results page that follows your initial search, all bad content is filtered.
There are plenty of options when is comes to protecting kids online. So, let’s do our best to clear up the confusion around internet safety tools and resources.
Internet Filtering Apps & Software
There are four areas of online security that people need to be aware of. These are not presented as options, rather – they each offer a different level of security and serve different purposes.
1. Anti-Virus Software: This is essential basic software that filters your email to protect your computer from becoming infected with a virus. No computer should be without anti-virus protection. Many operating systems come with enough security to screen your email, such as on a Mac computer or Windows 10. One of the best free versions of anti-virus is AVG.
2. Anti-Malware: Includes the removal and full protection from malware infecting your computer. It blocks a variety of viruses and subversive malware from infecting your computer due to a cyber attack or in the event you accidentally visit an infected website. Malware Protection is an important addition to any anti-virus program you may choose to install and includes protection against Ransomware.
3. Parental Control Software: If you are concerned about protecting your kids from harmful online content, you need proper internet filtering that blocks access to the internet according to the age of each child in your home. Read about the specific benefits of Parental Control Apps, or explore parental controls for schools.
4. Safe Search for Kids: The filtering tool on our website is enhanced by Google to ensure safe search results for all keywords entered. It is a FREE solution when searching Google. While it will block search results for inappropriate search terms entered, it does not block access to other areas of the internet when kids leave our site. This is where internet filtering software or apps should be explored.
5. VPN: Short for Virtual Private Network, VPNs are not common to most families. However, the security features of using a VPN are well worth exploring. It protected against swatting for gamers as well as hackers who may want to invade your privacy, whether at home or when accessing the Internet in public.
The most popular option our users are most interested in are parental controls and it’s relation to internet filtering.
Parental Control Monitoring Includes:
- Internet Filtering – Search the web with safety ensuring questionable and harmful websites are blocked.
- Content Controls – Flexible content control allows you to select the types of websites that are appropriate according to age.
- Program Controls – Control Instant Messengers, P2P File Sharing, control of what apps can be downloaded.
- Time Controls – Control the amount of time spent online, and the times when the internet is available for each child.
- Usage Logging – Create and review logs of websites visited, programs used on the Internet.
- Usage Alerts – Be notified instantly via email or text message when someone visits inappropriate websites.
- All of these monitoring resources can be accessed via a parental control app or on your desktop computer.
Choosing stand-alone filtering software greatly improves your kids internet safety and allows parents the ability to set the safety controls for each child according to their age and responsibility. Deleting search history won’t be enough for users to hide their activity.
Additional Solutions: Teaching Good Online Habits:
Software that features both accountability and internet filtering. What is the difference?
Web Filtering: This feature of the software filters the internet and blocks potentially harmful content. Parental controls allow you to set internet filtering according to user age, as well as put timelines on how long a user can surfing the internet, as well as restrict hours of use. This software can also be applied to applications and phones.
Accountability: When software is installed on any or all computers in your home, you will receive a report emailed to you weekly to show high risk website that were visited. This feature does not block content. It is meant for older kids and adults who know that the report will be viewed, and therefore builds good web browsing habits. The accountability report can be further generated to easily show sites according to various ratings, such as Teen, Mature Teen and Mature.
So what about our website – Safe Search Kids? How do we fit into the mix of providing internet safety for kids? For one, our site only restricts potentially harmful websites on Google while using our internet filtering tools. Our website simply allows for added security for those who are not installing software filtering.
Safe Search Kids is ideal for schools who want to implement safe search filtering instantly without having to painstakingly turn on safe search within the settings of each computer. This is done by bookmarking our home page. Alternatively, explore complete parental controls for schools provided by FamilyTime.
Never before in the history of time has there been so much information available to us. It’s all just a click of a mouse away. This is ideal for research and the educational benefits seem endless. Of course, with this great freedom comes great responsibility. Access to the internet also increases the risk of of exposing students of knowledge and exploration to harmful material found all too easily online. Google SafeSearch for schools has been created to filtering out this harmful content.
Parental control software programs enable you to block internet access in the following ways that Google Safe Search on our website cannot.
- Software programs filter all access the internet regardless of device or search engine being used.
- It gives parents control of social media use and app downloads according to custom account settings.
- Provides reports for searches, instant messages, keywords entered and controls screen time.
Should I Use Additional Safe Search Filtering Apps?
It is important to note that Google safe search is not perfect. We strive to provide a healthy balance between screening out illicit material and providing quality search results. For this reason, the ultimate in security can only be achieved with the use of parental control software. This is difficult and costly in a school setting where you have hundreds of computers, which is why Safe Search Kids is a good step towards a safer online environment on a broader level.
When you have control over 1 or 2 computers in your home, it becomes a viable option to consider filtering software options to protect kids, as well as your computer from viruses. The cost is minimal and gives the user much more control over what keywords are filtered out.
The important thing is to do your research and compare all the pros and cons, including costs, before proceeding. Of course, no search filter can replace parental supervision when it comes to children on the internet – even when safe search is turned on – but every little bit helps.
More About Our Website: Safe Search Kids Articles
In addition to parents and teachers, older kids such as teens would find many articles within these categories of interest. The categories names “Improve Your World” and “Stuff for Your Brain” contain many areas of interest for younger kids. Parents and educators may want to direct their kids to read these articles as part of their education.
You can access our recent posts in the center column. To read an article, clicking the “read more” button. You’ll find sharing tools at the bottom of each post. As you scroll down, we feature a longer list or our more poplar articles, as well as posts related to internet security and online safety to the left of the page near the bottom. You’ll also see that there are articles written just for kids. To search for a specific article topic, our website search tool can be found near the bottom right of our website.
At the very bottom, you will find direct links to our individual search pages related to safe image search, wiki for kids and safe videos. Why would you use these? Basically, if a teacher wanted to post a ‘safe image search link’ on their teacher page, clicking this link below will bring them to the url that will always feature safe image search by default. The same goes for wiki for kids and safe videos.
We encourage you to browse our articles for helpful topics, and of course, bookmark Safe Search for Kids for strict filtering on Google – on every computer in your home or at school.
Safe Search Internet Filtering vs Parental Control Apps
Whether it’s a safe search engine or secure online resources to help kids do research for school, parents and teachers need to be aware that complete internet filtering can only be achieved using parental controls. It’s these types of software programs that block content from all parts of the internet, not just while searching. Content filtering (blocking restrictions) is set by the software owner, such as a parent. It is done according to each child’s age and level of development.
Kids will click when they see an interesting link, there’s no doubt about that. It’s what’s on the other side of that click that is of concern parents. Apps can also monitor the keywords kids are searching, as well as their activity on what apps they are using. Social media platforms are also monitored.
Although not directly associated with Google, we are in partnership with their search resource via the Custom Search Engine Program. Our search websites for schools has increased the level of safety while kids search Google. This is achieved through an additional database of filtered words and phrases.